SANTA CRUZ TREK VIA VAQUERIA
It is undoubtedly one of the best known trekking circuits in Peru and the Cordillera Blanca, designed especially for people who do not want to spend so much time in the mountains or for people who do not have enough time to make a longer circuit such as the Santa Cruz trek combined with Cedros Alpamayo or Cordillera Huayhuash circuit. Within the circuit you will be able to appreciate many impressive mountains of more than 6000 meters such as the Huascaran, considered the highest mountain in Peru with its 6768m., Huandoy, Chopicallqui, Chacraraju, Arteson Raju 6025m. Which is also known as the mountaineering Paraount, Quitaraju, Caraz Santa Cruz and of course El Alpamayo, although it does not exceed 6 thousand meters, it is known as the most beautiful mountain in the world thanks to a survey of scenic photographs conducted in 1966 in the city from Munich Germany where it won this recognition as the most beautiful mountain, for having an impressive snow-capped peak with a perfect pyramid shape. In addition to everything mentioned you will have the opportunity to appreciate a completely different landscape every day and full of surprises.
Route: Trekking Santa Cruz via Vaqueria
Duration: 04 Days/03 Nights
Recommended Season: Early April to late November
Highest Point: 4750m. Punta Union Pass
Difficulty: Easy- Moderate
Average hours to walk: 5 - 7 hours per day
Day 1: Huaraz- Vaqueria- Paria
After the breakfast in your hotel we will come to pick up you with our private transport and take to you to the north side of Huaraz city into the Callejón de Huaylas valley. We will travel through the Districts of Carhuaz 2650m and Yungay 2500m. From Yungay we start driving to the east on unpaved road, towards the Llanganuco Valley, before entering the LLanganuco Valley and the Huascarán National Park we check in and pay the entrance fee, after 20 minutes by transportation we will pass by Two beautiful lagoons of Chinancocha and Orconcocha, in the first of them we will make a stop to take some photos and then continue driving towards the Portachuelo pass 4770m., and then to Vaqueria village. Along the way we will start having a splendid view of the LLanganuco Valley and the lakes Chinancocha and Orconcocha and different peaks around like Huascarán, Chopicalqui, Pisco, Huandoy, and others, especially from the view point and from the Pass, where we will make stop to take pictures. After that we will start go down to Vaqueria for about 1 hour and 20 minutes approximately, where our donkey driver and donkeys will be waiting for us, here we will start our trekking and we will walk until Paria Camp ground for about 5 hours approximately. We will arrive to our first camp around 3 pm and overnight at 3870m.
Day 2: Paria- Taullipampa
Today our hike is a bit challenging, especially the last part before reaching the Punta Union pass 4750m., After breakfast we start our walk along a very well-marked path, the first hour is quite easy and then we will gradually climb up a path In zigzag, as we ascend, a beautiful landscape accompanies us and we begin to have incredible views of some mountains such as Chacraraju, Huascarán, Contrahierbas, Chopicalqui and Yanapaccha. To reach the Pass we will climb 900 meters of gain and it will take an average of 4 to 5 hours. Once we reach the pass you can enjoy a panoramic view of the Santa Cruz Valley and Huaripampa on both sides with many impressive mountains around, including the Taulliraju, which we will see very close from the Pass, as well as we can see other mountains as Canta Cruz 6259m., Quitaraju 6040m., Rinrijirca, Pucajirca, Millisraju and the Arteson Raju 6025m., which is also known as the Parmount Pictures mountain. Here we will make a big break to have lunch enjoying this beautiful landscape, before continuing with our tour we make many photos to remember, from this point our walk will be much easier to our next camp called Taullipampa 4250m., from here we can already appreciate to the right the Southeast side of the Alpamayo mountain 5947m.
Day 3: Taullipampa- Arhuaycocha- LLamacorral
Today is the longest and most beautiful day of our 5 day hike; but compared to the previous day it is much easier and with much less unevenness, we will walk around 22 kilometers and it could take us between 8 to 9 hours of walking: After a good breakfast, we will go through the Arhuaycocha valley towards the Base Camp of Alpamayo Mountain and Arhuaycocha Lagoon, and along the way we are accompanied by the view of several mountains, including the majestic Alpamayo 5947m. (Considered as Most beautiful mountain in the World), Quitaraju 6040m., Caraz, Paria; Aguja and Arteson Raju 6025m. (Paramount Pictures Mountain) and from this angle we can appreciate the impressive silhouette of this colossal mountain, after 2 hours of walking we arrive at the Arhuaycocha lagoon and here we will have a 30-minute break to take photos and eat some of our snack enjoying the beautiful landscape of this place. After the break we begin our descent towards our next camp called LLamacorral 3760m. On the way we will pass by the Hatun Cocha and Ichic Cocha lagoon and next to them you can see a variety of high Andean birds such as the Andean Goose, Coots, flickers, ducks, Cara Cara and more. When we arrive at the camp we will be received as usual with the tea time prepared by our expert chef.
Day 4: LLamacorral- Cashapampa- Huaraz
On our last day we go by the Santa Cruz Valley to the Cashapampa town, here our private transport will be waiting for us to bring us back to the city of Huaraz; but before of that, we have a lunch in the town. Travel time in transport is approximately 3 hours.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- All private tours, all private transport and the price system guarantees your departure and only with your team members.
- Official bilingual guides with good manners and social behavior
- Official mountain cooks (Our expeditions always go with guide & cook, amount depending on the amount of participants).
- Good and varied food - best quality (vegetarian option).
- Climbing in the Cordillera Blanca always with accredited guides, no exceptions.
- Porters, donkeys and donkey drivers, amount depending on the amount of participants and nature of your expedition.
- We respect working conditions and local tariffs of staff - no exploitation
- Imported tents from Eureka, Mountain Hard ware, North face and Ferrino brand, 3 person tents for every 2 customers, 2 person tent for every single person.
- All camping equipment and cooking/eating utensils.
- Self inflating Matresses (Thermarest)
- Clients carry day pack only, approx. 12 kg per client on the donkeys
- Safety horses in case of emergency or fatigue (until 6 pax -> 1 horse, until 12 pax -> 2 horses, until 18 pax -> 3 horses …).
- All entrance fees
- First aid kit and oxygen bottle
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- Not mentioned or additional beverages or meals in villages
- Sleeping bag (rental US $ 7.00 per day + US $ 5.00 for obligatory laundry)
- Breakfast on the 1st day (hotel) and dinner on the last day.
- Tip for the staff
- Travel accidents and health insurance
- Return or abortion otherwise as planned itinerary: transport & possible accommodation costs (also for staff)
- Personal mountain equipment.
TREKKING EQUIPMENT LIST
We understand how important it is for our clients to have the right equipment on their trips. That’s why we provide you with this Trekking Gear List, which gives you a detailed inventory of all the items you need during your excursion.
- Walking Boots
- Lightweight long underwear bottoms
- Comfortable and lightweight cotton or synthetic pants
- Water/windproof pants
- Lightweight long underwear tops
- Mid weight top layer
- Down or synthetic fill parka or sweater with hood
- Water/windproof jacket
- Lightweight gloves
- Shelled gloves
- Warm hat
- Neck gaiter and/or balaclava
- Ear band
- Sun hat
- Light cotton long sleeved shirt
- Trekking Poles
- Sunscreen: At least 30 SPF or higher.
- Lip balm: With sunscreen.
First Aid Kit:
- Insect Repellent
- Repair Kit
- Personal Toiletries
- Ear Plugs
- Water Bottles
- Water Purification
- Snack food
- Sun glasses
- Duffel Bag
- Day Pack: A large-is (30 liters) day pack is recommended.
- Stuff Bags: A few assorted stuff sacks to help organize your gear
- Entertainment Selection
- Passport: Make a photocopy or two and keep apart from your passport.
- Solar charging panels